The Oakville Literacy Council is a non-profit volunteer group dedicated to helping adults improve their literacy skills.
Our key objectives
- To attract and serve adult literacy students
- To increase public awareness about the problem of low literacy and its social consequences.
We achieve those objectives by:
- Actively promoting our learning program throughout the community.
- Identifying and securing funding sources to support the ongoing operation of the Oakville Literacy Council.
- Providing workshops to train tutors.
- Working cooperatively with other local literacy-oriented and community based organizations.
- Providing opportunities for tutors to exchange knowledge and experience.
In our day-to-day work, we remember these principles:
Everyone has the right to be able to read and write.
Everyone should be treated with respect and confidentiality.